Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Batman Adventures: Dangerous Dames & Demons/Paul Dini

Batman Adventures:  Dangerous Dames & Demons by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm; graphic novel; 192 pages

Dini and Timm are important Batman people to me:  they created Batman:  The Animated Series in the early 90's, and introduced me to the world of the Dark Knight (I still hold that TAS is one of the best on-screen adaptations of the comics!).  Little did I know that these two had also done a series of comics for DC while the show was in its heyday.  So of course I had to track it down. 

According to Timm's commentary in this volume, most of the stories revolve around female villains, because he likes to draw pretty girls (to be fair, Batgirl also makes an appearance).  There are appearances of Poison Ivy and Catwoman, but the real draw is the story Mad Love, which tells the origin story of Harley Quinn.  I was familiar with this story because it did eventually make it into the animated series (albeit after they stopped doing the good animation), but this was the original source material, and was quite a lot of fun.  Best of all, because Timm's art is also the art of the tv show, I got to imagine the Joker with Mark Hamill's voice throughout the book!  Nerdgasm! 

Finding this book was like finding lost episodes of one of my favorite shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment