Monday, July 30, 2012

A Visit From the Goon Squad

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, 273 pages

I don' t know that I've ever read a book quite like this one. Rather than tell a straightforward story about a fixed set of characters, Egan flits between characters who are tangentially related or just mentioned off-hand earlier in this book, which won the Pulitzer. A Visit From the Goon Squad starts with Sasha, a kleptomaniac who once worked for a music producer, then wends its way through that music producer, his high school friends, Sasha's uncle, the music producer's mentor, and others. It's a captivating story, full of very real characters, who suffer from all manner of neuroses, both common and uncommon. I definitely recommend this book, though I'm still trying to reconcile it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment